Monday, February 25, 2008

Daddy D Was Calling Me

If you haven't ever been to "Daddy D's" BBQ Joint off of Memorial Drive in DownTown ATL, you need to get there. It's the best I've ever had in my life. It's not too far from Turner Field, so it's great if going to a Braves game to go a little early, get some amazing Ribs or Pork or Beef, or whatever else they have-'cause it's all good, then go to the game.

Speaking of the Braves, the home opener is March 31. I hope they do better this year then last year. That game was awful and the weather was freezing.

Today I got to take Dr. Vines to the airport, which was cool, b/c he's an awesome guy that has been used in a huge way by God, so having him captive in my car for an hour or so is a great opportunity. By the way Joel, my driving didn't scare him (it's not b/c he has nerves of steel, I can actually drive good enough to not freak people out. Of course, my Impala isn't quite as strong as the Mustang-or even the Tahoe, was.) Anyway, on the way back, I got to hook up some Daddy D's. Man, it was great!

I'm thankful to God for modern day heroes of the faith that He has allowed me to have access to. It's awesome when men like Nelson Price or Jerry Vines or Johnny Hunt genuinely care enough about you to take the time to learn about what your passions are in your service to God, and invest their resources and/or wisdom into you to assist and propel you in service to God and His Kingdom.

One great thing about this year is the time to work on school work and time and resource to order books and resources to prepare for the future.

For anyone who may be intersted, I just finished reading several books I'd recommend to you, some in the past couple of months, some in the past week or two. I may not agree with all that these authors may believe, but there is good stuff to learn from each of these authors. As Pastor Johnny says, learn to eat fish, which means to chew the meat and spit out the bones.

"Starving Jesus" by J.R. Mahon and some other guy.
"Planting Missional Churches" by Ed Stetzer.
"Developing the Leader Within You" by John Maxwell
"Velvet Elvis" by Rob Bell
"Blue Like Jazz" by Don Miller
"In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day" by Mark Batterson
"UnChristian" by Gabe Lyons

There are a couple others I've read recently, but can't remember right now.

Books I'm Reading Right Now

"Leadership Promises for Every Day"-Devotional by John Maxwell
"Vintage Jesus" by Mark Driscoll
"They Like Jesus But Not The Church" by Dan Kimball
"Choosing to Cheat" by Andy Stanley

My current Bible Study time, I'm studying Proverbs each day and various Pauline Epistles.

I have several huge needs that I'm praying for right now. I won't share those, I want to see God answer these prayers without my influencing the outcome. It's awesome to see God work in His power. Pray for Lisa and I as we walk through this journey this year. We are loving this mentorship, but also looking at what we'll be doing now in 9-10 months. We have our dream, we need to make the decisions on the path towards that dream.

I'm listening to a Humanities lecture right now as I type (I'm multi-tasking!) Anyway, I'm moving into the section from Roman Art into early Christian art. The professor qualifies this section as telling us we are about to take a nose dive into the quality of the art, but all arts are equal in sophistication b/c of the meaning of it. I have an opinion on that. It seems like the quality of many things done in the name of Christ have been poorly done since the first century AD. Meaning is important. However, imagine if all things done in the name of Christ were done well, with quality, in art, ministry, etc..., so that people didn't use the lame excuse of "The Holy Spirit will bless it b/c it's done in the name of Jesus." I think that the Holy Spirit likes to bless things done well with quality in the name of Jesus, and I know that our culture would appreciate it.

A small church littered our neighborhood yesterday with black and white photocopies of some special events coming up at their church, inviting everyone to join them. This church meets in an old dilapidated house with a gravel parking lot in front of it close to our subdivision. The people in our neighborhood aren't likely to attend this church, unless driven their by the Holy Spirit, because it looks like the building is about to collapse. I'm sure they mean well, but they probably annoyed everyone in the neighborhood with their attempt to reach them. Let's start putting some thought and quality into what we do. Sometimes doing nothing is definately better than doing something, no matter what our intention or reasoning.

5 comments:

Joel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jon said...

I hope your car was clean!

:-)

Aaron Brookshire said...

spotless, inside and out!

Joel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joel said...

Anyway. I deleted the dumb misspelling that I left. I'm still glad you didn't give Dr. Vines a "heart attach!" (LOL!!!)