Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Wisdom and Insights For Pastors

One thing I am able to focus on this year in preparation for the future is completing my college degree. I am one test and a couple of hours from completing my first class this spring. I completed this 8-week course in 2.5. That's pretty sweet. Anyway, the next to last assignment for the class was to interview someone in the career I am considering. My interview-ee was Dr. Nelson Price, Pastor Emeritus of Roswell Street Baptist Church, which was a 10,000 member church at the time of his retirement. It is pretty cool the men God has allowed to mentor and influence my life. Enjoy the insights and wisdom from a man who was (and still is) used greatly by God to influence thousands of people around the world.

1) Why did you choose this particular profession?
My spiritual orientation persuades me that rather than choosing the profession I was chosen for it. Insights shared with me only after I made the commitment public confirm this. My parents dedicated themselves to rearing me for the Lord to use as He desired. They never hinted of this until after the decision was made. Before my birth my grandmother said of me that the baby to be born would be a redheaded preacher.
2) What are the educational requirements for this profession?
Among SBC churches there are no educational requirement. However, it is expedient for a person to obtain the fullest possible formal education. It is necessary to make a lifetime of study in order to stay current and be able to contribute.
3) What did you major in during college?
In college I had a double major of biology and horticulture.
4) If the training is specialized or an advanced degree is needed, what GPA is needed? When I was in school no GPAs were considered.
5) Are there ample opportunities for advancement?
The “sky” is the limit.
6) What kind of income can I expect to have if I choose this profession?
On average it is considerably below other professions in which comparable formal training is require.
7) What does a typical day look like?
Enjoyable. My typical day began at 4:30 in the study where I said until around 7:00 AM.. Every day necessitated a flexible schedule and involved such things as administrative oversight, counseling, hospital visitation, coordinating staff, sharing in social and civic events, conducting weddings and funeral, speaking to special groups, and participating in denomination events.
8) What are the most rewarding areas of this profession and what are the greatest challenges?
The most rewarding aspect is seeing lives changed. This often resulted in homes being stabilized, lives being transformed, persons experiencing a personal relationship with Christ, and individuals finding their course in life.
The greatest challenges are dealing with individuals and committees. Maintaining harmony within the body is an ongoing necessity. Being a servant/leader is a role often misunderstood. A minister must exercise authority and give guidance with the heart of a servant, that is, being attentive to the needs of the constituency and guiding them to accept what is best.

A little insight from a great servant of God, and a reminder of why to stay focused on the call God has placed on each of our lives.

1 comment:

Joel said...

Only Aaron could get such an exclusive interview!! Talk about sweet hook ups!!